A modern day update to a versatile, compact and lightweight wide-angle lens, the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is incredibly bright and offers image stabilization, superb image quality and construction perfect for use on any EOS digital camera. With a redesigned mechanical and optical structure, the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM features a GMo aspherical lens element for high image quality with improved performance in the periphery. It incorporates a rear focus system and ring-type USM for faster, more precise autofocus performance. Full-time manual focus enables manual focusing while in AF mode, a micro-stepping drive provides quieter operation and a low speed focus drive delivers optimal results for video shooting. Canon Optical Image Stabilizer system delivers the equivalent effect of 4 stops and can detect normal shooting or panning, and automatically switches to the optimal IS mode. Compact and lightweight, the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM has an 8-blade circular aperture diaphragm for soft backgrounds, a minimum focusing distance of 0.79 ft./0.24m, plus optimized lens coatings for minimized ghosting and flare.
- Wide-angle 35mm f/2 lens is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 56mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords significant control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- One glass-molded aspherical element helps to suppress spherical aberrations and distortion for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with a rear focusing system, is employed to deliver fast and precise autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a micro-stepping drive also provides quiet focusing performance and a low-speed focus drive is used to benefit video recording applications.
- Rounded eight-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.